Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Omnibus Paper on "Adventure"



You are at Y2 ... a hollow voice says PLUGH

DHQ: Digital Humanities Quarterly: Jerz. Somewhere Nearby is Colossal Cave: Examining Will Crowther's Original "Adventure" in Code and in Kentucky
His daughter Sandy quotes Will Crowther as saying, “You know I've done all sorts of wonderful things in my career, it's funny that the one thing I'm remembered for is ‘Adventure’” (Lawrence 2002). Before he coded his legendary game, Crowther had helped map the complex network of caverns on which the game is based; and before that, he had already secured a place in history due to his contributions to a different network. As a member of the team of programmers at Bolt, Beranek and Newman (BBN), he helped create the ARPANET, the immediate forerunner to the internet.

Get the original FORTRAN code....

I hacked this myself back in '87, adding an exit from the cave into my office at the department. "You are in a tiny office that smells of stale cigarettes. If you continue, someone may give you a general exam..."


No comments: